Consumer Decision Making Project
San Antonio Consumer Contest will be here before we know it!!! Below is the link to the hotel that we will be staying at! This is a DISCOUNTED rate for you as families! ALL RESERVATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED BY FEBRUARY 1st!!!!! If you do not reserve by this date, your chances of even getting a reservation are bleak! It is a BUSY time in San Antonio so hotels are getting booked quickly!
You are not required to stay in the hotel we stay and you will receive a check for your profits from butterbraids on January 30th at the county contest. You can use this check on any hotel you would like.
Booking Link: https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/es/reservation/book.htm?inputModule=HOTEL&ctyhocn=SATBBES&spec_plan=CESMC4&arrival=20190215&departure=20190217&cid=OM,WW,HILTONLINK,EN,DirectLink&fromId=HILTONLINKDIRECT
Lastly, at the county contest on January 30th, I will need all youth’s Social Security numbers for the contest. We are required to turn them in for winning purposes. Please bring these numbers to the meeting!!! If you are not new, I have your numbers, so you will not need to bring yours.
Here are the totals of profits for the fundraiser:
|Seller’s Last Name||Seller’s First Name||Profit|
|Barrett||Harleigh and Wylie||$175.40|
|Hollas||Heath and JW||$169.80|
|Hill||Marisol and Evie||$11.60|
|Miller||Abby and Robert||$128.20|
|Green||Colby and Camryn||$192.00|
|Strmiska||Trenton and Mason||$117.20|
|Miller||Mallory and Jesalyn||$64.00|
|Luckey||Ryan and Jack||$117.00|
|Vaculin||Tessa and Jett||$123.60|
|Hollas||Heath and JW NEW||$11.60|
SAN ANTONIO LETTER 2019:
Practice Session in San Antonio on February 15, 2019
- Friday – February 15 (consumer practice in San Antonio from about 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. (3227 SE Military Dr, San Antonio, TX 78223) Meet me at the cafe in the front of the store.
- Check-In at Hotel starts at 4:00 p.m. on February 15 –You can check in on your own this time!
What Do You Need For Contest:
- 4-H Polos with nice jeans
- Lawn Chairs
- Calculators NEW NEW NEW
I will bring, but you are welcome to bring:
- Clip Board
Micah’s Cell Phone Number: (254-721-8741) – EMERGENCY ONLY!
If you are in San Antonio and need help, call me on my cell phone only if you have an emergency or need help.
San Antonio Hotel Information:
Check in will be on your own this year! You are welcome to do that when you arrive and do not have to have Micah check you in.
Room, Snacks and Breakfast Information:
All of our rooms at the Embassy Suites Hotel in San Antonio have 1 king bed or 2 double beds and a sleeper couch. You may want to bring a sleeping bag for the floor if you don’t want to sleep with someone. Each family will have their own suite unless you want to share a room.
A Friday evening snack time (5:00 – 7:00 p.m.) and Saturday morning buffet breakfast are part of the room cost. During the snack time, free drinks, popcorn, etc. are provided. At breakfast, it is everything from light breakfast to a full meal which will open by 6:30 a.m. on Saturday morning.
Embassy Suites Hotel in San Antonio located at 7610 South New Braunfels, San Antonio, Texas, 78235– Telephone – 1-210-534-1000. Please use google maps, waze, or any other mapping device for directions.
Parents are in charge of their room. We want to be on our best behavior inside the hotel and during all the activities. The hotel security guard will stop youth who are not acting in the appropriate manner (loud, running, slamming doors, etc.) . We have stayed in the Embassy Suites Hotel chains for many years, so please help everyone stay out of trouble. After 10:00 p.m. no youth should be out of their room without an adult.
During the contest, you will need to be on your best behavior and follow the rules outlined in the orientation prior to the contest. Here are the basic rules that will be reviewed:
– “While a contest is in progress, there will be no talking or unethical communication between contestants and audience. Violating this rule may cause the contestant and the team to be disqualified and ineligible to receive awards. Only contestants and contest officials will be permitted in the judging area during the contest. All contestants must have their group identification clearly visible on their clothing.” according to the San Antonio Livestock Show Rules.
– Group identification materials will be distributed during the contest orientation.
Supper Friday Night:
There are a few places to eat around the hotel. Some of us will probably go and eat. Check with the hotel desk to see what places the hotel van will take you. The restaurant in the hotel is fabulous and several people do eat there along with the refreshments from happy hour.
The hotel has an outdoor pool. Parents need to be in the pool area when their kids are in the pool. The hotel does not have life guards.
San Antonio Contest Information – Saturday
Location-SALE Cattle Barn:
Saturday Schedule for February 16, 2019:
- 6:30 a.m. Breakfast Time (Please go and eat, plus all youth need a good breakfast before the contest)
- 7:15 a.m. If you will not be staying Saturday night, be packed (luggage in the cars) and in the lobby to meet with me. Leave keys in the room or at the front desk.
- 7:30 a.m. Leave hotel and go to the contest at the SALE Cattle Barn.
- 8:00 a.m. Contest Registration
- Registration is from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. The County Extension Agent will pick up all registration materials and will distribute the materials to leaders and participants. You will sit with your team and the leader(s) in charge of your team and complete the paper work. Leaders will need to have the team paperwork completed and returned to the County Extension Agent before 8:45 a.m. Stay with your team and leader(s) throughout the orientation.
- 8:30 a.m. Group Picture at the contest center
- 9:00 a.m. Orientation will start at 9:00 a.m. with the contest to follow. During the orientation we will find out the location and time schedule for the awards presentations.
Contest: You will have eight minutes to judge each of the six classes. Juniors do not give reasons. Intermediates give one set of reasons and Seniors give two sets of reasons. You will record your placing on a scantron sheet.
- Juniors will be completed with the contest in about 1 hour.
- Intermediates give reasons, so it will be at least 1 ½ hours before another completes the contest.
- Seniors give two sets of reasons, so it will be about 3 to 4 hours before everyone completes the contest.
Directions to Contest: SALE Cattle Barn
Leave the Hotel and get on I-10 going South. Stay on I-10 South until you come to I-35 North (towards Austin). Take I 35 north (towards Austin) and take the Coliseum Road (which may also be marked as AT&T Center Parkway or SBC Center Parkway or just Livestock Show exit). Stay on the frontage road (for a while) until you get to the AT&T Center Parkway and turn right on AT&T Center Parkway. Go down and enter at GATE D or E (right hand turn into the Rodeo Grounds). Come into the rodeo grounds and when you get to parking fee area you will need to pay the parking fee of $10 (I would recommend you carpooling that day if you are staying 2 days). You need to park in lot 4. We will be in the Cattle Barn. You will need to also bring $10/adult and $5/youth (not participating in contest) for gate admission. Dress warm in case it is cold. See next page for parking map.
What Parents and Leaders Need to Bring:
We will have to leave the judging building during the contest. I would not bring a chair because you will do the SALE Rodeo experience while you wait, and I have been told there is plenty of seating, it is up to you though. It is a good idea to bring your own snacks and lunch items as well (maybe take a wagon or something with you like a backpack) because food can get pricy.
The 4-Hers cannot take snacks into contest, but they may want something right after the contest.
– San Antonio age divisions are:
Ages 8 – 10 (August 31, 2018) Juniors
Ages 11 – 13 (August 31, 2018) Intermediates
Ages 14-18 (August 31, 2018) Seniors
What to Bring to the Contest:
Remember you will need the following items to do the contest.
-a clip board (I will have it for you- LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE YOUR OWN)
– calculator (YOU NEED TO PROVIDE YOUR OWN)
-#2 pencils SHARPENED (2 is usually a good number)
– white paper (I will have it for you)
You cannot take cell phones, games, bags, etc. into the contest area with you. The parents, leaders and agents must keep these items during the contest in the orientation area.
No Talking During Contest:
Also in preparing for the San Antonio Contest, you need to make sure you remember that talking during the contest can get you disqualified and possibly your team disqualified. The committee members working with the contest may only see the talking and may assume you were talking about the contest. If you are disqualified, there is nothing we can do about it. If you need help during the contest or have a question, ask the leader in charge of your group.
OLD Lessons and Scenarios:
County Contest 2014:
- Class 1 Televisions
- Class 2 Western Boots
- Class 3 Fast Food
- Class 4 Cookware
- Class 5 Computers
- Class 6 Outdoor Equipment
Other Practice Classes:
County Contest 2013:
CDM Classes Overview- Lesson (Created by Bill Holcombe, CEA 4-H Galveston County)
Scenarios developed by: Micah Holcombe, CEA 4-H Bell County, Cheryl Walker, CEA FCS Milam County, and Elaine Luckey, Past 4-Her from Milam County)
Digital Media Players:
- Green Products Scenario (not the best class but it is one you can try or fix)
- Media PlayersClass#1
- Movie RentalsClass#2
- Camera Class #3
- Cell phones Class #4
- Full Watches Class Class #5
- Green Products Class #6
Judging.Com Hormel scoring system (You put your placing and cuts in and it will give you the score)
State Lesson Plans:
These lesson plans were developed to help other leaders in other Counties learn how to teach the consumer project in their County. These were developed by Micah Holcombe and Cheryl Walker. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you used these in your County, so we can keep track on the number reached! Thanks!
- Consumer Lesson Plan 1
- Consumer Lesson Plan 2
- Consumer Lesson Plan 3
- Consumer Lesson Plan 4
- Consumer Lesson Plan 5
East Region FCS Retreat Training Presentation– (download in Microsoft Powerpoint)